1. The Homeownership Resource Center (HRC), a division of Family Services Inc., is the lead agency in the nation for helping individuals and families foreclosures. Our success rate hovers between 66 and 70% -- that’s unmatched anywhere else in the nation.
2. The HRC’s Mortgage Default Clinic model has been recognized as a best practice by Neighborworks America.
3. The HRC regularly receives referrals from politicians at every level, including state representatives and senators, county officials, and members of the US Congressional delegation.
4. HRC counselors recognize foreclosure scams, and since the housing crisis started 2 years ago, it has helped hundreds avoid sending money to particular people or entities promising things that sounded too good to be true. Additionally, the HRC – working with the state’s Department of Consumer Affairs – has helped many homeowners recoup their dollars.
5. The HRC has a Critical Response Coordinator, who is especially adept at pulling homes back from the auction block – in many cases, with less than 24 hours notice.
6. The HRC has unique access to mortgage lenders, servicers and providers and utilizes special phone and fax numbers, and has the ability to email designated points of contacts. Homeowners, calling on their own, face the 800-customer service number. HRC counselors speak to the representatives who can make real-time decisions.
7. HRC counselors are licensed and certified by state and national agencies. Additionally, continuing education credits required quarterly. Our counselors go beyond the standard to target emerging trends.
8. All the HRC’s mortgage default counseling services are available statewide and to residents in North Carolina. (Bankruptcy and credit counseling are not available due to state licensing laws.)
9. As a HUD-certified agency, the HRC does not charge for mortgage default counseling.
10. While the HRC works efficiently and knowledgeably, compassion for people is its hallmark, and while hundreds, if not thousands, of homes have been saved, it celebrates that families will remain together; kids won’t have to change schools, and that seniors can enjoy their golden years in the homes that hold a lifetime memories.