-->

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Meet Our AmeriCorps State and National Member: Sadie Frasier


AmeriCorps is an umbrella organization funded through the Corporation for National and Community Service. Within AmeriCorps, there are three distinct programs: AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America), AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps), and AmeriCorps State and National. AmeriCorps State and National is the largest of these programs and has sites in every state and all U.S. territories.

AmeriCorps State and National awards grants to non-profits, faith and community based organizations, public agencies, Indian tribes, and institutions of higher education. Since 1994, more than 900,000 men and women have provided service as AmeriCorps members. AmeriCorps State and National programs address community needs through a wide range of activities such as:
  • Training Citizens in disaster preparedness
  • Providing mitigation
  • Improving housing situations for economically disadvantaged people
  • Improving the school readiness of pre-k children
  • Improving the academic performance or engagement of K-12 students
  • Engaging in environmental protection work
  • Enhancing the quality of life for older or disabled adults
  • Increasing access to food resources
  • Engaging veterans and military families
Trident United Way's AmeriCorps Family Navigator Team

This is Origin SC's first year as an AmeriCorps State and National Host Site. Our AmeriCorps member is placed with us through Trident United Way's Family Navigators Program. In this program, AmeriCorps members use the Stepped Approach to assist clients in achieving financial stability. To learn more about the Family Navigators Program and the Stepped Approach, click here.

Origin SC is so fortunate to have Sadie Frasier as our AmeriCorps State and National Member this year. Read more about Sadie below.

Sadie Frasier, AmeriCorps State and National Member

Hometown: Hollywood, SC

Education: General Business, Limestone College

Favorite Hobbies: Crocheting and making pigtoe pillows and balls

Favorite Place to Visit: The beach or amusement parks, anywhere where there is NO snow or extreme cold temperatures!

Why she chose AmeriCorps: I chose AmeriCorps because I was interested in the work as well as the opportunity to receive an education award for my service.

What impact has this experience had on you?  I had no idea what to expect when I submitted my application. I started serving in schools educating parents of students on better budgeting and financial planning. Now, I am able to do the same thing at other nonprofits as well. I decided to serve a second year and was given the opportunity to work in a new school and a new agency. I can say that serving with AmeriCorps has been very rewarding. This experience allowed me to see my city in a different way and it opened my eyes to the needs of the people around me. I am so glad to be able to help people with their finances, health, and food security.

What has been your takeaway from your time at Origin SC? Serving at my agency, Origin SC, has been very enlightening. Before, I did not know of Origin and their services. This organization provides great services to the community. It has been overwhelming at times to hear and see the challenges faced by individuals and families facing homelessness. My takeaway is to be grateful for what you have. Seeing people at risk of losing everything or struggling to receive basic services has been a constant reminder of how much I am lucky to have. It is so important to remember that there are people with many more struggles than you. 






No comments:

Post a Comment