To help celebrate Earth Day this year consider taking actions and steps that are good for Mother Earth and also good for your wallet.
1. Enroll in electronic banking – This saves you trips to the bank which also helps reduce the greenhouse admissions that are put out daily by automobiles. Plus online banking is so much more convenient. You will not be sorry about making this easy change.
2. Enroll in paperless statements – We all know paper is made from trees. So when you have paper statements being mailed to you monthly, this is causing trees to be cut down. Trees help fight climate change by removing carbon dioxide from the air and releasing oxygen into the atmosphere. Paperless statements are available for three years, so there’s no need to print and file them.
3. Shop your local farmers market - Food at the farmers market is usually grown locally, meaning it doesn’t have to travel as far to get to you. Charleston and the surrounding areas have a ton local farms that supply produce to our local communities! Depending on the area you live in there is usually one farmers market per week and sometimes two. Shopping as much as you can from your local farmers market reduces the environmental impact of the food, which usually costs the same or less than you would pay at the grocery store. A list of farmers market in Charleston and the surrounding areas can be found at the link below.
4. Avoid disposables – This is a more obvious one but you will definitely notice the amount of money you can save by drinking from a reusable water bottle and bringing your food in a reusable Tupperware rather than Ziploc bags.
5. Be more vigilant about how you run your home - Setting your thermostat a few degrees warmer in the summer or cooler in the winter can reduce energy use significantly. Also, wash your clothes in cold water and only run the dishwasher when completely full.
6. Make energy-efficient updates to your home - Installing a new furnace, replacing doors and windows or adding insulation may reduce the amount of energy your home uses and cut your energy costs. Using your home equity is a cost-efficient, affordable way to pay for these projects.
Origin offers financial education and coaching to help you become more green when it comes to your budget and finances and we can help you improve your credit. We offer the following services within our Financial Education & Coaching division.
To learn more about these services or the Financial Education & Coaching program at Origin, please click here.
By Lindsey Jenkins - Marketing & Outreach Manager At Origin SC